Tuesday 18 April 2017

Presentation Planning

So it's that time of year again when I have to start thinking about how to sum up my year and experiences in a horrible 15 minute presentation. I'm not feeling as nervous about it as felt in previous years because I'm alot more comfortable talking about my work, but I think I just really need to practice as much as I can so that I am confident with what i'm talking about, which will hopefully come through in my presenting. 

I'm a bit scared that this year hasn't been particularly positive for me and that my presentation is going to be a bit sad? I feel like I've learnt alot about myself and possible pathways I could go down though which is obviously a good thing. 
Key topics to be discussed
  • Starting 3rd year - alot more professional attitude, with more of an idea of where I see my practice
  • learning alot more about how the industry actually works - Misunderstanding of where an illustrator fits in to advertising industry 
  • Favourite Projects from this year - TKAMB, Sounds Of The City, Stratstone
  • Not confident in my work, or my future as an "illustrator"
  • Sadly I think i am just in it for the money? Ben Cox said my shadowy/atmospheric stuff isn't commercial which got me thinking about my whole practice - I DON'T WANT TO BE AN ILLUSTRATOR??
  • TIME - feel like i'm running out of it constantly, another year over is another wave of graduates and talent. 
  • Future plans? more design work in my portfolio - more typography based projects and branding projects - maybe more generic illustration? Stuff that is easily commissionable 
Slide Plan

PART 1

1 - WHO AM I NOW 
Logo, Branding, Visual Identity.
Website, Business Cards, How am I marketing myself?`

2 - What has lead to this moment? what projects, transformative moments have led to my current identity?
Big push with working digitally, creating atmosphere - Carl Sagan Project, Vectors, Shape and Texture. 

3 - Current portfolio - Atmospheric, lighting, shape and texture. VERY ILLUSTRATIVE.
 where would my work fit in???

4 - Not confident in my current portfolio, 
Ben Cox - Dark/gloomy isn't commercially viable. 
Also doesn't reflect my intentions of design atall.
 Lacking in branding/design experience >>>

---------------------------------------------------------------
PART 2

4 - WHO DO I WANT TO BE(& how am i going to get there?)

5 - Research into industry - During summer/before this year, I had preconceived ideas about where an illustrator would fit in to industry. Instead of looking into working in the advertising industry, I should have been looking into 'freelance commercial illustration' > FREELANCE TERRIFIES ME
How can I find a way of being in-house but still have an illustrative approach?

6 - Design agencies are where I see myself right now.
In my opinion my portfolio isn't ready and Im not sure of who I am yet as a practitioner (fml right)
Plan to combine Illustration and Graphic Design? 
Use more illustration in branding - more typographic, animation projects 
I feel like I may have an advantage over graphic design students as someone who has trained in a range of fields???

7. I want to show Design Agency employers that i'm a practitioner with an all round skill set that they would be mad not to hire 
BUT IM JUST NOT THERE YET

7. TIME - so much pressure on getting there as soon as I get out of uni its killing me and im so stressed - each year that passes is another wave of graduates and talent. but is that a big deal? Can I find a way to stay afloat in the ever increasing talent pool?

8. I need to CHILL OUT. Over summer I will be working in Leeds with a part time job to pay for rent, but in my spare time beefing up my portfolio using both Commercial Illustration and design, getting ready to send to employers by the end of this year. It's going to be tough but I've still got some learning to do, and at the moment I've got the motivation to make this work.

PART3
My experience as an Illustration student at Leeds College Of Art

I've spent alot of time thinking I know what I want to do, but when the safety blanket is slowly being ripped off I realise that I don't actually have a clue. 






No comments:

Post a Comment