Wednesday 19 April 2017

Presentation Planning (Part 2)

PART 1

- Intro

- Who was I prior to this year?

- Graphic Design and Photography (composite image making) at College.

- Thought Illustration would be my best bet as still didn’t know what to do and it was quite open. Chose this course to explore visual creation in all areas.

- First year – very experimental – didn’t have a preferred way of working when I started the course and didn’t understand the importance of having a style.
All work very average.
And I probably did everything you shouldn’t do. Trying to force a style and be someone I’m not.
Not sure if its lack of capitalising on successful elements and pushing them – or I just get bored really easily?

Sounds a bit superficial, but at this point I think I realised that this doesn’t look good and I need a style that’s more commercial? From a business point of view, this wasn’t viable.

- After a year of trying to be someone I wasn’t, I finally started to return to what I naturally liked to do in my old photography projects, create scenes/landscapes/atmospheres, and found a way of working that I enjoyed and was relevant to contemporary, trendy illustration?

- Second year, pushing composition/scenery/landscape element with style that I liked and enjoyed.

- Always enjoyed presenting my artwork with text, adding finishing touches, making design boards. Presentational elements were what I enjoyed as equally as making the actual images.

- Fjall Raven book / The Seed - Illustration & graphic design

- Slowly starting to capitalise on what I enjoy and they are becoming clear. 

PART 2

- Who am I? What have I achieved up to this point? How am I marketing myself? 

- AOI Sounds of the City Prize for Illustration - using it as my spring board. Amazing opportunity to get myself out there so my self promotion needs to be on point. 

- Dan Gilmartin is a Leeds based image maker and designer who explores light and atmosphere through his digital narrative works. Driven by shape and texture, his work has featured in the Off the Page (2016) and Out Of Order (2017) exhibitions at Colours May Vary Gallery, and he has worked with clients such as Stratstone BMW. Having completed A-levels in Graphic Design and Photography and a UAL Foundation diploma at Carmel College, Merseyside, he is now a final year BA (Hons) Illustration student at Leeds College Of Art. 
- Branding
Design choices, website, 
- Why I haven't decided to create mailers/fliers for employers. I'M NOT READY
- Need more time - putting alot of pressure on myself to have a complete idea of where I'm going before I leave uni, with each year that passes is another wave of graduates and talent  CHILL OUT

PART 3
- Who do I want to be? How am I going to get there? WHATS THE PLAN?
- Take what I've learnt here in being an illustrator - and attempt to merge with my passion for graphic design. 
There's a whole load of graphic designers down stairs so I need to use my illustration to help me to stand out.
I want to be more of a designer that uses Illustrative processes, rather than an illustrator. 
- Feel like more of a commercially viable path - something that i'd enjoy more with a bit more stability?
- Using Ben Cox's advice on commercial illustration, Images I want to take forward and build my portfolio around 
- PLAN 
- Work part time whilst building my portfolio over summer, Including work for St Wilfrids, another amazing opportunity to develop my process of illustration and graphic design more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment